Monday, March 12, 2012

Another Day In The Life...

I woke up this morning to a beautiful, sunny day. My goal for the day? To find a dress to wear to a wedding next month that wasn’t black. (No, it’s not my wedding) Now, I have several “little black dresses.“ Any one of them would probably do. But it IS a wedding, and although I often find my reaction to weddings and funerals alarmingly similar, I decided to show my support for young love (first marriage for both) and wear a dress that was a little more optimistic and upbeat.

So I set out this morning on the hunt for a “not black” dress. First stop? The Original House of Pancakes. If you know me at all, you know that I do NOT shop on an empty stomach. I ordered a short stack, two poached eggs, and coffee. I took a photo of the tableware. (liked the design) and attempted to read the newspaper, but was absolutely transfixed by the toupee on a guy at the next table. “Did he think we were fooled?” Is he color-blind? “How was it attached?” “Was it flammable?” “Did he keep it on a little head on his dresser at night?”…my mind raced, pondering the possibilities. I riveted my attention to the pancakes, finished my coffee, and moved on…

I wandered through the mall, checking out the spring dresses. Yuck! So cute! So pastel! So flowery! So…happy! Don’t get me wrong…I’m happy…exuberantly so…but I like to dress in a more subdued fashion to allow my personality to scare people without any warning. It’s more fun that way…

I finally found an electric blue Calvin Klein sheath that didn’t make me look like a Tele-Flora billboard. It was sleek, sophisticated, not black, and created the illusion of a waistline. I bought it, and spent the next few hours taking photos of spring flowers…real ones. I went to Jake’s to eat a burger and drink sweet tea on the patio before it’s 9000 degrees…which, in Texas, will probably be next week. I’ll have to gauge my diet for the next month…can’t gain or lose too much weight or the dress won’t fit. So I skipped the sweet potato fries and the chocolate shake….

Now I’m free to enjoy the rest of the day. Need shoes…but that’s another day...

Happy Monday! C








No comments:

Post a Comment