Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Another Day In The Life...Summer Mode

This morning, while drinking my coffee, I wrote a list of the things I wanted to accomplish today…

Look on eBay for a vintage surfboard
Go to Target for a black tee shirt
Bake a cake
Throw away another trash bag full of stuff that I don’t need
Go to used musical instrument store to look for a set of conga drums
Do the laundry that I was supposed to do last week
Buy a cake pan to bake the cake in
Watch the premiere episode of Dallas on TV tonight
Try to find a motorcycle helmet for Ralph. Do they make them for dogs?

You’re probably wondering, why a surfboard? Because it’s summer, and I’m in full-blown summer mode. No, I don’t surf. I don’t think anybody in Dallas surfs. There’s hardly enough water here to take a shower. I just want a surfboard to lean against the wall.

The first concert I ever saw in person was The Beach Boys. I went with a group of friends. At least one of them was old enough to drive, because we were not accompanied by adults. I still ride around in the summer singing "California Girls" and dreaming of the beach. We used to go to Maywood, “the beach within reach.“ It was really just a large, public swimming pool surrounded by sand in north Mississippi, but it was all we had. I always wanted to surf. However, I can barely swim, so surfing is out of the question. But having a vintage surfboard seems like an attainable goal…

I want conga drums. I love music, but I’m afraid it’s too late to play the violin. And I can’t sing. I have a reasonable sense of rhythm and a lot of nervous energy, so conga drums just seem like the way to go.

I went to Target and bought four black tee shirts. Black tee shirts are my addiction….like crack. I can’t stop buying them…can’t give them up…can’t buy any color other than black. If they’re on sale, I can’t buy just one. They were on sale…

I’m purging, for my future life in the Airstream. In the past few weeks, I’ve pitched twelve lawn and garden bags full of unnecessary crap. It’s amazing how much stuff we buy…things we don’t really need. The thought of downsizing is so freeing, but I’m going to have to figure out a place to keep the surfboard…and the drums.

Lunch. In-N-Out for burger and fries…

Ralph loves to ride on the scooter with my boyfriend. He has goggles, but I wish his head was better protected. So I’m shopping for a helmet…and yes…they do make helmets for dogs! I know what he’s getting for his birthday!

Dallas, the TV series! Flashback to the 80's. Warm and fuzzy memories of watching the night-time soap with my Mom. J.R. bashing. It was the highlight of our week. We'd take our dinner into the den and eat on TV trays. It won’t be the same without her, but if there’s a television in heaven, I’m sure she’ll be tuned in…

This afternoon, I want to make a lemon-blueberry pound cake with lemon syrup and lemon glaze. I got the recipe out of bon appetit. It requires the only size cake pan that I didn’t have. But I have it now, so I’m going to bake a cake for dinner tonight.

If the cake is successful, I’ll post the recipe!

Later, C

No comments:

Post a Comment