Monday, June 21, 2010

Goodbye, Takashimaya NYC :(


The era of famed Japanese retailer Takashimaya on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue is coming to a close. This June, the company will shutter its New York flagship at 693 Fifth Ave., between East 54th and East 55th streets. It has been at the building, which it owns and plans to sell, since 1993, though its first store on the gilded Fifth Avenue strip opened in 1958.

I discovered Takashimaya in the mid-nineties. I'd spent most of the day at The Met, and was walking back to my hotel. I was hot, hungry, and a bit stressed from dealing with the crowd at the museum.

I happened upon the entrance to Takashimaya, and the cool, calm serenity beckoned me inside. I strolled around, admiring the aesthetic perfection of, in my opinion, the most beautiful store on the planet. Then, I went downstairs to The Teabox, and enjoyed an artfully arranged Bento box of sushi, and a pot of excellent green tea. Afterwards, I bought a delicate, mother of pearl tea scoop, and left refreshed and revived!

Takashimaya has been on my "NYC to do list" ever since. I feel like a small piece of civilization is gone forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment